Monday, July 8, 2013

My last week in Pokey( Pocatello)....Brazil, here I come!


Oi Familia!!
 

This is my LAST week in Pokey! It has gone by so fast! I have a lot going on this week. I'm going to the Idaho Falls temple on Tuesday for a departing temple trip, I'm going to my last zone conference in Pokey and we are having a musical fireside on Sunday! There are 4 zones singing songs about Christ and the Restoration! It's going to be awesome! I'm in a trio and we are singing "Write Thy Name Upon My Heart". It's a pretty song! 

My birthday was pretty awesome! I went to zone activity and my district surprised me with a party! Elder Porter baked me a chocolate cake! :) The best part of that party was I got cake smashed in my face haha! It was pretty great. I wish that I took a picture of myself. It was all over my face. For dinner that night, we had homemade cheese/potato soup and rolls. IT WAS SO GOOD! The mom made the same butter from Texas Roadhouse. It ranks as the best meal I've had so far in the mission.

I did get my 2 packages! I loved it! :) I'm sending you a package today of letters. I can't take them with me to Brazil, because I'm afraid that my bags will go over the 70 pounds. Plus it's a lot of space that I could use for other things. Oh, I got my flight info! I'll email it to you. It will probably be a good idea to put some money in my debit card for the airport. I don't know how I'm going to call you on next Monday. I'm spending the night at the mission home on Sunday and President will go over with us about our travel info. A week from today I'll be traveling to BRAZIL YAY! :)

 

I totally forgot to grab my camera before I got to the Family History Center. That's where I go to email. I have a couple pictures of me and other missionaries from 4th of July. I had the best view for fireworks! Our apartment is right across from the fair grounds and we just had to walk across the street and watch them. It was pretty cool. There were 15 missionaries with us. We got to stay up til 11. So, the scariest thing happened that same night. My companions and I went to bed right when the fireworks were over with. We forgot to text our DL that we made it home alright. Like an hour later, we hear this banging noise on our window. We thought someone was trying to break into our house. We looked outside and it was our DL, his companion, and the Sister Training Leaders smiling and waving at us. They tried calling us for an hour straight and thought that something happened to us. But we were sleeping all this time haha. It was funny but scary. It took me forever to go back to sleep.

Today, I'm going to Down East! :) Sister Halbison has been talking about going there all week.  This past week was kinda a dead week with it being 4th of July. It was hard trying to find people to teach. I think this week will be a little bit better but not by much either. It's weird to think that in 2 weeks I'll hit 3 months! I'm excited that I get to spend the rest of my mission in Brazil! It should be pretty awesome! Oh random thought. So this lady was bearing her testimony about her mission in sacrament meeting. She served in Italy and her husband served somewhere state side. She said that serving foreign is better than serving state side. I'm glad that I had the opportunity to serve both state side and now foreign. As of right now I think serving a foreign mission will be better than serving in Pokie. 
Last week was hard Our investigator Anthony, is not getting baptized anymore. He wants to make sure that he's making the right decision. His parents are anti and they don't like the idea of him wanting to get baptized.   He reads from the BOM everyday and got an answer that it's true, he prays and goes to church every week.  I wish he would get baptized.  But I guess he is not ready yet, please pray for him. 
It was sad to learn that our 20 year old boy we were teaching(Will), committed suicide.  He was a member of a less active family.  His Mom is super active and strong.  Will had goals to serve a mission.  He had OCD, depression and other mental issues.  It’s SO sad.  We attended his funeral on Saturday. 

I am trying to work hard with all those bad things that happened.  Heavenly Father has tried my patience and my faith. I am sure I will have many more experiences in Brazil where I will be tested and tried.   I love  being able to share the Gospel.  I know even for the short time I have been out how great it is and I love every minute of it! I have learned to be patient with myself and with others. 
I’ve learned more about the scriptures than I could have ever learned in Seminary or Institute.  I also have learned to rely on the Holy Spirit.  I can see now why I needed to go on a mission.  I need to be closer to my Savior and have a strong testimony of Him.  He has done SO much for me!  Many in my mission are homesick and want to go home or can’t wait to go home.  Not me! It’s been the best decision I ever made.    I don’t want to think about home, I want to take the next 15 plus months and give to the people of Brazil.  I can’t wait! 

I'm so grateful to serve a mission. I'm glad that I made the choice to go. It has blessed my life and the people I'm teaching. I hope you have a great week and I'll talk to you on the phone next week!

 

 Eu amo voce! :)  I LOVE YOU Smile

 

-Sister Whitnah
 

No comments:

Post a Comment