Monday, November 18, 2013

I have a new companion, Sister Howell, also from Arizona!

Mom,
 
It´s crazy to think that it´s been a year since I got my call. It seemed like it went fast and slow at the same time. I didn´t realize it until you mentioned it. This week went pretty good! But before I start off, there were some changes in this transfer. The elders told us that Sister Menden and I would be staying in Barao Geraldo together. During our comp study on Tuesday, we get a call from the elders asking why Sister Menden wasn´t at the transfer site. Sister Menden was suppose to be transferred all along. She had almost 2 hours to pack up all of her stuff and head to the bus station. It was pretty crazy! And apparently this wasn´t the only time this has happened to Sister Menden. It happened to her about 2-3 transfers ago. She was kind of upset with the elders but, she said that she´ll get over it. She´s still in Campinas, but not serving in my zone.
 
My new comp is Sister Howell. She´s from Gilbert, Arizona too! I found out that her and Sister Menden are from the same stake but, never knew each other! I think it´s pretty funny! She´s been out for 11 months. I really like working with her. She has a fun personality and is a hard worker! We get along pretty well! We have a lot of great goals for this transfer since it´s gonna be 7 weeks.
 
During the week, we did a lot of knocking on doors and talking to as many people as we could. We have about 5 people that we are going to see this week to give the 1st lesson. I´m pretty excited! We have an investigator named Kelly. She has a 1 year old named Bionca. She also has 2 younger sisters and one of them came to church yesterday. She told us that she really liked coming to church. We are going to visit Kelly this week to see if we can get her to come this next Sunday. This next Sunday, our ward is having a primary program! Sister Howell and I are going to be singing a song. I think in English it´s called Baptism? In Portuguese it´s Batismo. 
 
Last night I watched a movie called Fireproof. Have you heard of it? It´s about this couple that has problems with their marriage and the Dad helps the son with this journal that his mother made for him. ``How To Save Your Marriage in 40 Days``. It talks about having the gospel in your life and relying on the Savior. The couple almost get a divorce, but they end up saving their marriage. It´s a really good movie! I cried towards the end ha-ha. I think you should get it and watch it. 
 
For p-day, we´re meeting with another zone to go to this park in Campinas. From what the elders told us it´s huge and has a tons of activities you can do. Like play basketball, play set, and a bunch of other things. I´m pretty stoked! We had 8 new sisters come in this transfer! 3 of them are Americans and the others are from different countries that speak Spanish. There wasn´t anybody from Brasil. I was really shocked.
 
Tell Sister Menden´s mom thank you for having her husband bring my Christmas package! That´s so nice of her to do that! My area is in Campinas so that makes it a lot easier for her husband to get it to me! Btw, I haven´t received any of your letters. I wonder if they got lost or something? Maybe they might come in this week. I will check to find out.
 
Hey I want to let you know that i´m doing great! I love being in my area even though it´s a difficult area, but I love my companion! Our goal is to get the most out of this transfer. To help baptize as many people as we can! Thank you for all of your love and support every week! I love you so much and hope you have a fantastic week! LOVE YOU! :)
 
-Sister Whitnah
 
P.S That´s so cool about Leya leaving for her mission this week! I´m so excited for her!  



Dad,
 
I like this activity that you´re putting on! Sounds pretty fun! I can answer the questions for you.
 
One of the things that I have learned as a missionary is to rely on the Spirit. The Spirit is so important when you are teaching. It also helps you to know what you should do personally. I´ve learned to love others that I come in contact with. To get to know them better.
 
There are so many things that we do! We visit less active members, talk to strangers about the Gospel. We always share our testimony. For me, I have to talk to people in a different language.
 
Being a missionary is not for the people who have the black name tag. Everyone is a missionary. Everyone has a significant role in being a missionary. You never know who´s life you may be touching. Always be an example. 
 
Brazil is pretty awesome! They have AMAZING fruit! The food is probably my 2nd favorite and the people are my first. The people here are so nice and are very friendly. The name Campinas in translation means field of mountains or of some sort. 
 
Love you, Sister Whitnah
 

No comments:

Post a Comment