Monday, November 4, 2013

I've Become Attached to Brasil

Mom,
 
Hey how are things going? I´m sorry that I haven´t sent any pictures in a long time. I have a lot that I want to send, but somehow  I can´t. :( the computers here are ridiculous. But, this week was kind of hard. We had a lot of plans for the week and most of them got cancelled or nobody showed up for our appointments. It was really sad. As far as this week, we have A LOT to do! I´m excited for it! Next Sunday we get our transfer calls. This transfer was only 5 weeks. I´ve heard next transfer might be 5 or 7 weeks because Christmas is involved in the next transfer. I kind of want to stay in Barao Geraldo with Sister Menden.
 
Vinicius moved into a new house this past week. Last Sunday, we planned to help him move. When we got to his old house nobody was there. We went to his new house and nobody was there also. We waited for at least a hour and called him and he didn´t pick up. It was really strange. The whole week we didn´t hear from him. I was beginning to worry about him. It was really weird how when we would call him, he wouldn´t pick up the phone.
 
  Yesterday, (Sunday) we went to church and we saw Vinicius! I was so happy to see him. We found out that he got a new phone number and was really busy with school and work. Plus he didn´t have our number in his new phone. We were so happy that this whole week we didn´t have any contact with him, but he still came to church. We talked with him a little bit before Sacrament Meeting, and he still wants to know ``everything`` before he gets baptized. During Sunday School, our ward missionary leader gave a lesson about baptism. This is perfect because, the next lesson we are going to share with Vinicius is the 3rd lesson. Which includes BAPTISM! :) 
 
 Vinicius is one of my miracles. We had a hard week trying to communicate with him this week. We were hoping that he would come to church. When we saw him, we were so happy. It goes to show how he has a desire to go to church. Even when we couldn´t communicate with him at all. He still came. He is a huge example to me, of being steadfast. I swear, he is GOLDEN. I´m so grateful that I get to teach him the gospel. He has blessed my life and more. I can´t wait for the day when he gets baptized. 
 
Our ward had a ``break the fast`` potluck. There was a bunch of fruit, salads, chicken and casseroles. One member brought in fresh cut mangos. OH...it was so GOOOD! It was also the bishop´s birthday. We sang happy birthday and had cake and ice cream. It was probably one of the best almoços I´ve had here!
 
This week we did a lot of knocking on doors and visiting with members Every Thursday night, the relief society puts on a zumba night. A couple members bring some of their non-member friends.
 
I really like the advice that Robbie gave me. Sister Menden and I always have companionship study. Everyday we always have personal study, comp study, and then language study. It really does help a lot when we study together. We both understand what and how we need to teach for that day. All of our lessons are in Portuguese. We never talk in English. I think that´s what helps me the most. The more I speak in Portuguese, the more I learn the language faster. It´s difficult to speak a lot of English and then try to talk in Portuguese later.
 
On Halloween, Sister Menden and I bought some American candy! In Brasil they have snickers, kit kats, m&m´s and Hershey's. We also had hot dogs for dinner. The way Brasilians make their hot dogs is very interesting. They put corn, ketchup, the hot dog, and mashed potatoes on top. It might sound really weird, but it´s good! I´ve grown  accustomed to the food here! After my district meeting, we went to a Japanese resturante. I wasn´t too thrilled to have sushi. I told myself that if I didn´t like it, I would get something else afterwards. I put some teriyaki sauce on the sushi and ate it. Surprisingly, it wasn´t that bad. I kind of liked it.
 
That´s so cool how Bryan is being such a good example. I really like that example of how Heavenly Father smiles when we do what is right. 
 
I mailed you a letter last week. I wrote more detail about the mission conference and what I learned. I really liked the quote you shared with me. I think it´s so true. I´ve become attached to Brasil. To the people I serve with to the food I eat. I love it here. At times it is hard, but it´s a good type of hard. The type that´s going to help me grow. I hope you have a wonderful week! I love you SO MUCH! Talk to you later.
 

-Sister Whitnah    



 Sisters Menden and Whitnah, Halloween day!

 Pizza with other missionary sisters!
 Mansion of Stake President where Sister Whitnah was at last week with her companion  and other missionaries

No comments:

Post a Comment