Monday, February 17, 2014

Hello from Conchal!

Familia!

 

I have so much to tell you! First off, I got my new comp and she´s Brasilian. It´s been a long time since I’ve had a native comp. She looks like an American because she´s a red-head. It´s kind of funny, her last name in English means snow, and her skin is really white. Her name is Sister Neves and she´s from Curitiba, Brasil. She´s been out for 7 months and she´s the same age as me. We get along pretty well. :)

 

My comp and I opened up a new area called Conchal. This area has been closed for 5 years and President decided to open it up again! It´s a little different here, because i´m serving in a branch. There´s only 30 active members. Compared to my other 2 areas, Conchal is super tiny! It’s also really far away from Campinas. It´s about an hour a way and we´re in the country side.

 Yesterday was our first Sunday in Conchal and the Branch President asked me to give a 10 minute talk about missionary work. I was SO nervous and he only gave me a 30 minute warning. It was my first talk in Portuguese. I think I did okay, but my comp said it was good for a first timer. :)

 

I feel like this area is going to have a lot of success. The members here are awesome! This week we set 3 baptism dates for March 15th. We found out that our branch doesn´t have a baptismal font, so they use a plastic swimming pool as their baptismal font. I really want to see what it will be like to have a baptism in a swimming pool ha-ha. We’ve  gotten so many references and think this area will be one of those golden areas!

 

This Wednesday, we´re having a mission tour with one of the counselors in the seventy. I think...? He´s a Brasilian, and his  name is Elder Costas. I know the whole mission will be there!

 

To be honest, it was hard to say goodbye to Barao Geraldo and to Sister Howell. She was one of my favorite comps on the mission. I´m gonna miss her a lot. My last night in Barao, we went to a member´s house and they made me my favorite meal! Stroganoff (brasilian style) is was AMAZING! :) Since i´ve left, i´ve missed Barao a lot. Throughout the week I thought about Barao Geraldo and how much I miss my investigators and the members. It was like I was homesick in a way but for my area. But right now, i´m doing better.

 

I loved the pictures you sent of Duke! He looks really cute! He also looks older every time I see a new picture of him. By the way, Tessa says I look older? To be honest, I feel a little older too. It´s weird to think that I’m one of the older missionaries now.

 

Overall, this week was bittersweet but good. We worked really hard this week and we´re finding success slowly. But I know the Lord is blessing us with this new opportunity to serve in a branch. I love you so much and i´m grateful for everything you have done for me. Have a great week!! :) LOVE YOU LOTS!

 

-Sister Whitnah

No comments:

Post a Comment