Monday, February 24, 2014

I want to stay on my mission forever!

Oi Familia!
Life in Conchal is going good. This week we set 2 more baptismal dates! A guy named Junior and the other Diante. They both have been coming to church for awhile. We gave the 1st lesson to them and they accepted baptism pretty easily. We plan to have their baptism on March 15th along with 2 other people.
I forgot to tell you that I already got my package. I got it when we had our transfers. I loved everything that you put in it! Thank you! :)  I also got the letter from Dad.
Wednesday was my favorite day of this past week! I mentioned how we were going to have our mission tour. We had 2 speakers. Claudio Costas, the area president in Brasil and Elder Evans. I can´t remember his calling but he use to be a member of the seventy. I was expecting this conference to be another ordinary conference where they would talk about missionary work. They did, but it was better than I expected. Claudio Costas talked about his conversion story. He was  a teenager when he was taught by sister missionaries. It didn´t take him too long until he was baptized. He told us countless times how the Spirit can play a huge role while we´re teaching our investigators. He told us, it does matter what is being taught but more importantly that the Spirit is there testifying that truth. I thought that was a pretty cool.
Elder Evans talked about marriage, families, and missionary work. He told us how he met his wife. He told us when he came home from his mission it took him 3 months to get married. He went to a mission conference in Japan and was asked how long it took him to get married. He stood up and said ``3 months!``  and the mission president said ``it only took me 6 days!`` I couldn´t believe it! Only 6 days ha-ha. Elder Evans gave us a little advice about marriage. When you know it´s right and the other person knows it´s right, don´t delay. He quoted President Monson, ``Never deny a prompting or you will always regret it.`` That reminded me a lot of when I received my answer to serve a mission. That it was the right decision for me to go when I did. He talked a lot about the importance of families. He quoted a lot from the Proclamation to the Family and even talked about our Heavenly Mother. I´ve never heard anyone talk about our Heavenly Mother over the pulpit. It was pretty cool. He gave us a doctrine about how to use the Spirit more effectively in our lessons and teach them what it really means to be converted to the Gospel. One of the problems in Brasil is that a lot of people live together and aren´t married. He taught us how we can teach them to not only decide if they want to get married or separate, but to help them realize that living together is breaking the commandments. To help them see that what they´re doing is wrong. The way he said it was powerful. We want them to get married but what do they need to do before they can make that commitment? They need to have a sincere heart and a contrite spirit and repent our their mistakes and change. Learning this changed my whole outlook on how I will teach my investigators. To really help them understand the importance of the Atonement and why we need the Savior in our life. 
I do have some pictures to send you. One of them is a picture of a fruit here in Brasil. It´s called caju, it looks different but it takes really good! Btw, thank you for the picture of the Portland Temple! That´s probably the coolest picture I´ve seen of that temple. And thank you for the scriptures that you sent me! :)
Friday, we started an English class at the branch. And guess who´s teaching English?! ME! :) my comp doesn´t know any English so she made me be the teacher. To be honest, since I started learning Portuguese i´ve forgotten a little bit of my English. I could explain everything in Portuguese but when it came to speaking in English, it was hard. I´m teaching the basics of English and i´m also teaching how to say a prayer in English. One of the members gave a prayer in English. It was pretty cool!
 
For p-day my comp wants to get her hair cut and i´m thinking I might get mine cut as well. We´re going to celebrate my 10 month anniversary by getting ice cream! I can´t believe 10 months...the more I think about it the more I don´t want to go home. I want to stay on the mission forever. But anyways, this was my week. It went by really fast and we worked really hard this week. I hope all is well and I love you so much! Have an awesome week!


-Sister Whitnah

No comments:

Post a Comment