Tuesday, March 25, 2014

I'm staying in Conchal! and the Mission Tour from the week before

Familia!
 
We received our transfer calls last night. Sister Neves and I are staying together in Conchal! I was really excited to hear that we´re going to be together for another transfer. This past transfer went by really fast and one that I really enjoyed. We´ve become really close and i´m glad that i´m serving with her! We were both kind of worried if one of us was going to be transferred. 
 
This week, we worked really hard to find new people to teach. We found a family to teach. We gave the 1st lesson and the next day we talked about the Plan of Salvation. The dad told us how he smokes and that he wants to quit. Sister Neves asked the dad, ``So, you want to quit smoking? Great! I know a trick that will help you to not smoke again!`` She grabbed a cup full of water and asked for his cigarettes. She broke a part 3 or 4 cigarettes, put them in the water and mixed it all together. After doing that, she asked the dad to drink the cup. He was a little resistant but he did it. He told us how he felt sick afterwards. My comp showed a point to him that every time he wanted to smoke, he would remember that sick vomiting feeling. I thought it was an awesome way to help someone to quit smoking. We went back the next day and found out he had smoked that very night. We were annoyed but we´re going to go back and help this guy and his family. 
 
Last night, we had another lesson with a member and his friend. His friend was really excited about the Gospel. His name is Edson. The sad thing about this guy is that he lives on the street. His wife abandoned him because he started using drugs and became obsessive. But last night, I could tell he really wanted to make a huge change in his life. We´re going to help him to stop drinking and smoking for good! :)
 
Some food that I love in Brasil are stroganoff, I believe or not I love the beans and rice here! Especially black beans! :) I love how they make mashed potatoes. They put meat in their mashed potatoes to make it look like a casserole! They also use a lot of corn. I see a lot of corn bread and food that has corn in it. Another food I like is pão de queijo (cheese bread). I´ve bought it many times when it comes right out of the oven! It is SO GOOD! Another one I love is açaí. It´s a type of fruit and it´s kind of like a ice cream/slushly. You can put strawberries, granola, leite candansado, and bananas. It´s really yummy!
 
To be honest, i´ve only eaten a few weird things. I tried corn flavored popsicles. And it tasted like I was eating a stick of butter. It´s really gross. I´ve eaten cow intestines ha-ha. I thought that I was going to eat fried chicken, but when I took a bite it was really slimely-like. Ahh just thinking about it makes me sick. A dessert that I don´t like very much is maracujá mousse. It´s a passion fruit pudding. I don´t like the texture and the flavor. It´s kind of bittersweet. It´s a type of dessert if you try it and like it or you don´t like it. I had to eat it 3-5 times in my first area.
 
I hope you enjoy your Spring Break at the beach. Be safe and have fun! LOVE YOU LOTS! Te amo! :)
 
-Sister Whitnah



Familia!
 
Hey this week went really well but at the same time it was kind of stressful. The mission tour was awesome! Elder Costas talked about his conversion story. He gave us great advice on how we can improve the work in Brasil. And he also talked a lot about the Spirit and how we can following it´s promptings when we´re teaching our investigators. I took a bunch of notes!
 
Junino went to the temple this week and he loved it! He told us how he has never felt the Spirit so strongly that he began to cry. I thought that was cute. He will be receiving the Aaronic priesthood this coming Sunday! :)
 
As for finding more people to teach, it´s been kind of hard. There´s a lot of people here that are very strict on their religions and won´t let us come back. We´ve ran into a couple people that might be interested but i´m not sure if they really want to learn more. 
 
My English class is going good. We´re getting more people as i´m teaching. I´m teaching them the basics of English. Like numbers, colors, days of the week, how to create sentences and so on. 
 
I´m hoping this next week will be easier to find more people to teach. I really want to find those people that are waiting to hear the gospel. I´m praying that we´ll find them! I love you so much! And hope you have a good week! Talk to you soon!
 
-Sister Whitnah

No comments:

Post a Comment